Currently our classes are run on Saturday and Sunday once a month. We have found that most people work all day and the last thing they want to do is come in and sit in a classroom for 3 hours. This makes learning to dive more convenient and only takes two weekends to complete. If none of these regularly scheduled courses fit your busy lifestyle please ask our staff about private lessons. All of our classes offer the same complete level of training, at Channel Islands Scuba; we teach in small groups and have terrific response to our programs. A full payment will guarantee your place in the class. Scuba classes are available for students as young as ten, with snorkeling programs for children as young as five. Classes are limited to six students per instructor, guaranteeing individual and personal attention so that you gain the most knowledge and confidence while having the best experience possible. However, space is limited so sign up early.
Types of classes:
Open Water Diver Course Details- (Start TODAY for FREE! Use the link in the upper left corner)
If you’ve always wondered what lies beneath the surface, now’s the time to find out. Start the journey of a lifetime with the SSI Open Water Diver course. It will change you forever.
In the SSI Open Water Diver course, your SSI Instructor takes you through the basics of learning how to scuba dive. You start in a pool or pool-like conditions and progress to the open water (ocean, lake, quarry, etc.) getting the background knowledge along the way.
Earning your SSI Open Water Diver certification is just the beginning. As a certified diver, fabulous dive destinations, exciting people, unparalleled adventure and uncommon tranquility await you. And, as you continue your adventure and gain experience through higher training levels, your opportunities expand.
- Number of Dives: Five Confined Water Dives and Four Open Water Dives
- Knowledge Development: Five sessions
- Prerequisites: 10 for Junior Open Water Diver and 15 for Open Water Diver. Good health, reasonable fitness and comfort in the water.
- Materials You’ll Need: SSI Open Water Crew-Pak, SSI Open Water Video or DVD, Log Book.
- Equipment you’ll use during the course includes: mask, fins, snorkel, tank, regulator, buoyancy compensator, submersible pressure gauge and exposure protection as required by the local environment.
- Becoming a diver opens a door to a whole new world. Open yours and step through.
Specialty Diver Courses Details
Move up and experience real adventure with the SSI Specialty Diver courses. As you step beyond the SSI Open Water Diver level, you make five dives and have the opportunity to try some of diving’s most rewarding and useful specialty activities, such as deep diving, digital underwater photography, wreck diving and much more. These skills make diving much more than underwater sightseeing. Plus, the Specialty Diver courses takes you one step closer to Master Scuba Diver – the ultimate non professional certification in recreational diving.
With your SSI Instructor you complete the deep and underwater navigation Adventure Dives. These dives boost your confidence as you build these foundational skills. Then, you choose three additional dives from more than 15 Adventure Dives to complete your course. You can go diving at night, check out the local wrecks in the area or even fly through the ocean on a diver propulsion vehicle – all during your PADI Advanced Open Water Diver course.
- Must be a SSI Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization) and 15 years old (12 for Junior Advanced Open Water Diver)
Number of dives: Five dives
- Adventure Dive options include altitude diving, AWARE-fish identification, boat diving, deep diving, diver propulsion vehicle use, drift diving, dry suit diving, multilevel and computer diving, night diving, peak performance buoyancy, search and recovery, underwater nature study, underwater navigation, underwater photography, underwater videography and wreck diving
- Each Adventure Dive in the SSI Advanced Open Water Diver course may credit toward the first dive of the corresponding SSI Specialty Diver course
- Materials: Adventures in Diving Crew-Pak, Adventures in Diving manual and video and logbook
Stress and Rescue Diver Course Details
Challenging and rewarding best describes the SSI Stress & Rescue Diver course. This course will expand your knowledge and experience level. Rescue Divers learn to look beyond themselves and consider the safety and well being of other divers. Although this course is challenging, it is a rewarding way to build your confidence. Rescue Diver training will prepare you to prevent problems and, if necessary, manage dive emergencies. Many divers say this is the best course they’ve ever taken. You'll cover:
- Self-rescue and diver stress
- Emergency management and equipment
- Panicked diver response
- In-water rescue breathing protocols
- Egress (exits)
- Dive accident scenarios
Emergency First Response
Take a step toward emergency preparedness and meet SSI Stress & Rescue Diver prerequisites with Emergency First Response. As one of the foremost international CPR and first aid training companies, Emergency First Response gives you the confidence to respond to medical emergencies -- not just in the diving world, but in your every day world with your family, friends, neighbors and coworkers too.
Emergency First Response courses encompass:
- CPR for adults, children and infants
- First aid for adults, children and infants
- Automated External Defibrillator (AED) training
- The Emergency First Response Instructor and Instructor Trainer courses
Master Scuba Diver Course Details
Join the best of the best in recreational scuba diving. Live the dive lifestyle and explore the underwater world like never before. Do it by becoming a SSI Master Scuba Diver – a rating that puts you in a class of distinction. You earn it by diving it, writing your ticket to endless adventure through the experience and training that set you apart as a SSI Master Scuba Diver.
With the SSI Master Scuba Diver rating, you've reached the highest non professional level in the SSI System of diver education. It means that you’ve acquired significant training and experience in a variety of dive environments.
- Minimum Number of Logged Dives: 50
- Minimum qualifications: SSI Rescue Diver or Junior Rescue Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization), 12 years old, five PADI Specialty Diver certifications.
Want it. Live it. Dive it. Master Scuba Diver.
Dive Control Specialist Course Details
Your adventure into the professional levels of recreational diving begins with the SSI Dive Control Specialist program. Working closely with a SSI Instructor, in this program you expand your dive knowledge and hone your skills to the professional level. SSI Dive Control Specialist training develops your leadership abilities, qualifying you to supervise dive activities and assist instructors with student divers.
During the SSI Dive Control Specialist program, you learn dive leadership skills through both classroom and independent study. You complete water skills and stamina exercises, as well as training exercises that stretch your ability to organize and solve problems. You put this knowledge into action through an internship or series of practical training exercises.
- Knowledge Development: 12 topics ranging from dive theory to assisting student divers in training
- Prerequisites: SSI Advanced Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization), SSI Stress & Rescue Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization), 20 logged dives, 18 years old.
- Minimum Number of Logged Dives: 60 for certification as SSI Dive Control Specialist
Materials You’ll Need:
- SSI Dive Control Specialist Manual
- Recreational Dive Planner (RDP) – all three versions (Table, Wheel and eRDP including associated Instructions for Use booklets)
- The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
- Diving Knowledge Workbook
- Divemaster Slates
- SSI Dive Control Specialist Video
- Instructor Guides for the programs that may be conducted by SSI Dive Control Specialist. You may purchase these guides from Channel Islands Scuba.
- Discover Scuba Diving
- Discover Snorkeling/Skin Diver Course
- Scuba Review/Discover Local Diving
Travel plans? Busy schedule? Need to get certified quickly on your own time? if you are unable to attend one of our regularly scheduled classes due to work, travel, etc., then try our Private Class! It offers flexibility with in-home study and private academic and pool training. Your open water diving can be done locally or even on your vacation - the choice is yours. All on your schedule! We also offer Privates Classes for small groups.
Many of our clients would like to experience scuba diving on an upcoming vacation, but don't feel they have the time to commit to a full scuba class before they go. No problem. Channel islands Scuba can help you complete your class and pool sessions prior to your vacation and then connect you with a trusted. PADI instructor to complete your ocean dives while away in paradise. You can earn your scuba certification in 80 degree, crystal-clear water.